Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Friday 8 June 2007

in tune

My piano, that is. The piano tuner just left and it sounds perfect and now the guitarists can't go on about having to tune down to the piano at rehearsal. HA! Practice is tonight, with little Snowman the violinist playing a jig in Casting Crowns' "Praise You with the Dance". It'll be sweet. We're joined this Sunday by the youth choir from Alabama, so the music will be lots of fun and the week will be fun in all its insane busyness.



I do love to play my piano. It's sort of my dream piano; I grew up playing on an apartment-sized Baldwin, a good piano to be sure though now it is mostly ashes from the fire at Bee's house. I spent the first 9 years of my married life with no piano, and I missed it. Then in 2000 we moved to a large house and D surprised me (shocked me might be better) by suggesting that instead of a little upright, we get a grand. So, we got this model. It's a full-size grand, not a baby grand and not a huge long concert grand. Just perfect for us.

And oh, it's lovely. I think my favorite time to play is when it's a calm clear night, with a full moon that lights up the room just enough that I can sit in the dark, look out the window at the moon, and just make up songs. I find little melodies and chord progressions that sing to me; some of them have ended up as songs and some have gone no farther than my own private enjoyment. Playing by moonlight is delicious but also melancholy in a way; it always makes me miss J.

2 comments:

sue said...

I know, I KNOW, that on those moonlit nights when you play, he is there, smiling at your little melodies.

Jennifer said...

i'm not commenting. i'm too watery in my eyes so i can't see the screen.