Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Wednesday 23 May 2007

they're baaaack

I love spring and summer on the farm. Yesterday was sunny, not too hot, with everything green and lush, not yet dried by the August heat or overgrown and untidy. In the front field, the farmer who rents our fields (technically a 'tenant farmer' which makes me feel like some sort of lady of the estate) was driving over them with his offset discs, breaking up the soil to get a hayfield well underway. I planted veggie seeds in the prepared boxes: herbs, carrots, lettuce, spinach, corn, zucchini (just one plant! Don't need a zucchini avalanche ths year!), & cucumbers.

And they were back. The mosquitoes have officially emerged. Last night as I made supper there they were, hanging on to the window screen, either drooling at all the people inside or planning some sort of diabolical plan where enough of them get on the screen, then hang on and beat their little wings all at once to pull the screen right off the window. Hmmm. These few weeks it can be especially bad as the mosquitoes overlap the blackfiles, who were also out in great numbers yesterday.

Though I must admit, (a) it's better than the first year, since our cleanup has reduced many of their breeding areas, and (b) they're not these. Those bugs are another farm story entirely.

5 comments:

futsaldreamer said...

Oh what a lovely link....I did need something eewwww me into wakefulness.

On a less serious note, it really isn't a big jump to think mosquitoes have a hive mind. If you run your microwave and dishwasher at the same, it disrupts their communication. I read it on the internet.

sue said...

bzzzzzzzz

Jennifer said...

put coffee grounds in your rainbarrels and anywhere else you have standing water...um, maybe not the creek. you don't need caffeine -high fish swimming around. coffee grounds will kill their nests....

futsaldreamer said...

Fish don't drink coffee.

;)

Bee said...

there's reason enough to get a dishwasher...