Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Tuesday 31 July 2007

flood

The warm days and rain have paid off and the flood from the garden has begun. Yesterday I picked, blanched and froze over 9 pounds of green beans. I also picked the yellow and burgundy beans (about 9 pounds there too). We are practically swimming in beans. Yesterday also was our first suppertime taste of sweet peas (got over 3 pounds of those). Herbs are getting tall, the corn is filling out, and the broccoli would be lovely were it not for the chickens' continuing munching of the leaves.

Today is hot day #2 this week; the cows are all sitting under the shade tree, the pool is ever so inviting, and the chickens stick to the shade except when they mount a sneak attack on the veggies. Outside work beckons, and as I work I think some more. A few extra garden boxes for R's planned foray into farmers' markets next year, a place to plant potatoes - what to do, where to do it...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

um...can i have some beans? mine have decided to stop weilding. i'm quite disappointed. i had two good meals, and that's it. care to share?

Bee said...

girl I am having serious garden envy. We've had enough beans for 2 suppers and that's it. What IS your secret (besides cow crap?)

barb said...

the chicken crap from last fall I'm sure is nice fertilizer too. Maybe I should take them on the road - sort of a rent-a-chicken. Rototillers, pest eaters, and fertilizers all in one! And don't forget the entertainment value, and eggs to boot. Hmm.

And I think the HUGE beehive in the maple tree nearby gave us lots of pollinators.

sue said...

See, bees are good. I told you you should keep bees. Then you would have the pollinators as well as honey I could buy from you. Which reminds me... I didn't pay R for those eggs. And I got you something to pay you for the strawberry jam... though I can't remember what I got you... or where I put it. Hmmm... glad the winery tours are over!