Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Tuesday 8 June 2010

pretty

I wonder

if everyone looked every day

for something pretty - not extravagant, not elegant, just pretty -

would we become more able to find the simple beauty in things?

Would it become easier?


... the way a leaf trembles in a barely-felt breeze
... the sheen of sunlight on weathered wood
... a puff of cloud shifting across sky
... a plant struggling its way through a sidewalk
... the rough texture of bark
... the miniature crags and valleys in gravel
... light filtering through cobwebs


Or is it too hard to do? A waste of time? There's really nothing of significance in those things. Why bother?

Do we need the flash, the 'pow' of light to make us look, to demand our attention?

Are we missing the whispering lovely because the manufactured crass screams at us?

How are we training our senses?

3 comments:

sue said...

Who walks the world with soul awake
Finds beauty everywhere.

~Coates

barb said...

I love that quote. And the person I first heard it from.

EMP said...

Ah, "the whispering lovely"--thanks for this reminder, BG; I'll be on the lookout for something pretty tomorrow (right now my pillow calls prettily), and write to you about it...