Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Tuesday 6 April 2010

run

I've been over this before. I don't enjoy it. While I do it, every step asks "why?" or whines "noooo...". But it's easy, it's accessible, and I must grudgingly admit that I'm feeling better today for it.

From house to road is 500 metres. I was up and back twice yesterday, and but for pauses at each end and caving in for a brief walk on the last stretch, I did it. 2km isn't much, but it's a start. I have no plans for entering a race, but have my own little goals. They're a secret for now, whispering excitedly in my head.

The paradox of discipline: I don't want to do it. I don't like it. I make myself do it. I complain while I do it ... but know, deep down, that the complaining is not what I need to listen to. I push through. I feel better and am better for it. And that's not just running.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever done a learn-to-run plan? There's less painful ways to get started/back into running!

Personally I'm a fan of the plan that starts with running 1 min followed by walking 1 min, then increases the minutes of running by 1 minute per week. Once you can do run 10 walk 1, you can just switch to solid running if you want because it's effectively the same.

Jess said...

I think that is why I love running so much. It's an amazing feeling of pushing through something, knowing your strength and knowing there is WAY more where it came from...and it's there when needed. Not to mention the runner's high when done, feeling proud, doing something for yourself, and my favourite part right now is escaping from life if only for a few minutes. IT's a total escape for me not to be thinking about anything but the pain in my legs!
Big thumbs up for getting out and doing it!! You rock!