Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Thursday 16 September 2010

drear

This has been a singularly dreary day. Not in a things-went-bad way, but in the cool chill and wind of a dreary fall day. It was never really bright outside at all, and I was cheered by lighting a few pretty candles and making cozy food (shrimp risotto, and an apple coffee cake for dessert!), and hanging with my family all day.

The season of making thick, hearty soups and savory stews is upon us. I love using the grill, but comfort food, made flavorful with slow cooking and great seasoning, gets me excited. Creamy mac & cheese in the oven. French onion soup, dark with onions caramelized and cooked down in rich red wine. Roasted meat with pan gravy. Mmmm. And the cinnamonny nutmegness of apple pies, pumpkin pies, spice cakes.

'Drear' should be the noun form of 'dreary'. Perhaps it is. "Look at the drear out there. I'm putting on a fire". See? It works. Sometimes the dreary days are my favorite.

Four hundred posts. Wow.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would also make a good name. Hi, my name is John Drear - I make hearses out of tractors.

EMP said...

Oh, d(r)ear, you make me smile, BG, almost against my will. I'm up too early on a pre-dawn Sunday and writing up a storm. Just read your blog for inspiration. Much obliged. :) EP in drear(y) AB