Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Tuesday 22 April 2008

more classics

The girls' history book has brought us up to the Elizabethan Age, and had a chapter on Shakespeare. After reading its paraphrased story of Macbeth yesterday, we read A Midsummer Night's Dream from a book I had bought separately, Ten Tales of Shakespeare for Children by Charles and Mary Lamb. This book tells the plays in a story format, good for reading aloud and not having to explain who's talking, but it keeps some of the lines so that the flavor is there. I followed that up by getting my Pelican Complete Works of William Shakespeare and reading Puck's final speech in the original language ("If we shadows have offended / Think but this, and all is mended").

They loved it. R especially was taken with the old-style language. We even looked up some sonnets, M recalling that the one quoted in the Sense and Sensibility movie was #116 ("Love is not true love / Which alters when it alteration finds"). I'm going to try to track down the local company that does Shakespeare in the Park, and see what they have playing this summer.

No comments: