Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Friday 1 October 2010

spicy

Spices, I'm thinking, have a bit of a season about them (no pun intended).

Spring is a time of herbs: parsley, thyme, oregano. Fresh and new. Summer wants basil and rosemary, their heady flavors adding punch to sun-sweet tomatoes and light omelets. Fall is all about the brown spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice all jostle for their place in my baking. Winter likes the brown spices but also welcomes some of the herbs as sage and summer savory find their place in roasts and stews.

Today in the kitchen many apples met a saucy end as they boiled into mush and moved through the food mill to make a lovely pink applesauce. The garden yielded its last of the season, with eight pie pumpkins now sitting primly on the walkway, waiting their turn. Over the weekend they will be cooked, mashed, and put into pies. The seeds will be roasted for snacks. Pastry for the pies was made today and now waits in neat packets in the fridge. The house smells like, well, fall.

What other spices have a seasonal feel? Hmm...


No comments: