Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Wednesday 24 September 2008

step one

It starts tonight. Tim the Producer and my friend the Uber-Guitarist are coming over, and we're recording scratch tracks. These are recordings that will never see the light of day; instead they serve as a reference for Tim and me. They give a starting point from which I can listen to the songs ad nauseum and find arrangements that will best suit them, little tweaks that will make them better.

I just hope I can listen past how I know I'll sound, without that annoying little critic's voice in my head harping on about the vocals. Hearing yourself talk in a recording is strange; hearing yourself sing in a raw feed is devastating. To me, anyway. I hear every bad nuance and warble, all the while knowing that the end result will be better. It's hard sometimes to get past what I hear.

But we have to start somewhere, right?

No comments: