Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Thursday 12 July 2007

horseradish

This morning was spent at the dentist, realizing I really do need to be as diligent about getting myself in there as I am about getting the kids in there. Then it was off for a few errands, including a trip to the bookstore for R to spend some birthday gift cards (bought Eragon and its sequel, having been muchly inspired by seeing the movie). She also pre-ordered the next Redwall book. The place was taken over by hoopla for the new Harry Potter book, which I will read when it comes out. I obviously won't read it before then.

But why the obscure blog title? While at the book store I was wandering through the kids' section and a book caught my eye by virtue of its odd title: Horseradish, by Lemony Snicket; yes, he of Series of Unfortunate Events fame. It is simply a collection of wry little sayings, some of which have a great deal of truth and some of which had me laughing out loud with their quirky, random humor. For example:

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

"If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkghasgasdf."

"A library is like an island in the middle of a vast sea of ignorance, particularly if the library is very tall and the surrounding area has been flooded."

"It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting."

So today I am amusing myself in this way. It is nice. I also have multiple chores to do (big surprise there) and must see just why my children are currently talking in little squeaky voices.

No comments: